Slideshow Widget

  • Cochem, Germany 2013 photo Cochem_edited-1.jpg" />
  • Heidelberg, Germany 2013 photo heidelberg_edited-1.jpg" />
  •  photo florence.jpg" />
  • Rome, Italy 2013 photo Rome2.jpg" />
  •  photo florence2.jpg" />
  •  photo Venice.jpg" />

Nuremberg Christmas Market

Wednesday, November 26, 2014


If I were pressed to choose my absolute favorite market, from the ones we've been to, it would be really, really, really hard for me to pick between Nuremberg and Strasbourg.

Like, if someone were threatening to take my dog away from me forever if I didn't choose... I don't know which one I'd pick. And my dog is my BFF. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I love both markets (and cities) that much.

That said, I think Nuremberg is probably the more impressive market. The city itself is awesome to visit at any time of year. It's an old walled medieval city and a lot of it is still intact. (And of course there's tons of not-so-ancient history here, too.) It's just breathtakingly beautiful.

But, hey, see for yourself.

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket13of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket10of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket3of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket2of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket1of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket18of18.jpg


Within the area around the main Christmas Market there were several large churches. The one in the picture above has a balcony you can go out on for a donation of a euro or two. We arrived too late to do that but if I can find some way to make it back there this year, I really want to do it. I'd love to see the market from above.

As you can see, we had really terrible weather. By the end of the evening, it was pouring rain, we were all soaked and frozen to the core. This was the year my sister and her boyfriend came to visit and I felt so bad for dragging them around in the cold, dreary, wet German countryside (they live in Texas - they were really cold) but as the Germans say,

There is no bad weather, 

only wrong clothes.


{{truth}}



 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket15of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket11of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket8of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket14of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket5of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket4of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket9of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket7of18.jpg


 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket6of18.jpg

 photo NurnbergChristmasMarket17of18.jpg

I think the main draw of this Christmas Market, besides the awesome architecture and old world feel, would be the variety of ornaments and home decor. They had some of the most beautiful Christmas decor I've ever seen anywhere.

They also had carolers in full dress as well as many different period actors. There were poets and jesters and all sorts of fun characters to help you find your Christmas Cheer - if you need any help in that department.

If you decide to check it out, it's a pretty easy drive since Nuremberg is just off the A6 and the A3. Getting around the city is a little hectic (but not too bad), but there is lots of convenient parking once you get near the walled city. We parked in a garage only about a block from the market - it doesn't get better than that!

If you've been or are planning to go, let me know in the comments below. I love to hear other people's stories and adventures!

4 Responses to “Nuremberg Christmas Market”

  1. NIce photos, thank you. I remember going to the Christmas Market in Munich years ago and it was wonderful. Your post brings back lots of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Sue! Munich is such a beautiful city, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. My husband "aka boyfriend from story" has been bugging me for days that u haven't posted this one yet. He made me read it out loud to him as he was too excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, be patient, Kevin! He's so cute! I'm glad he had a good time.

      Delete